has joined the band!
At our school, it is at the end of 4th Grade that the kids take musical aptitude tests and try out various instruments. Daisy (like MOST little girls) was set on playing the flute. Mmmmhmmm. Mom played the flute. I was aware of all the pros and cons of that instrument and additionally weighed the pros and cons of playing the same instrument as a parent. Daisy and I had long talks about all of the instruments--what she liked and disliked about each and turns out--hadn't really thought about any others! We talked about being unique and how many other girls would be playing flute. We talked about lots of things and she ultimately decided on playing trumpet. When the the trying of instruments was finished (and I witnessed), it was quite amazing to see that she had natural ability on several instruments--none of them being the trumpet and one being the flute! Aaaghh! The new band instructor (Miss H) surprised me by suggesting the trombone. I'm all for being unique but hadn't even thought of the "bone"! Her tone was GORGEOUS! So.... it was off to http://www.mrmusiconline.com/ to rent or buy a trombone! Summer Band (required for beginning band students) began only a few days after school ended! So, our Miss Daisy has a brand new trombone --and t0 be even more different, she selected the silver trombone as opposed to the traditional gold finished.A natural!
Good for her! This female trombone player approves!
ReplyDelete