Sunday, April 12, 2009
It's for REALs....
It's true. It's going to happen. It's for real! The boy is going to Ball State University! His financial aid package came in the mail while we were gone. I was concerned that he wouldn't qualify for all the loans needed to get him through. Pfffttt! Zac qualified for a Pell Grant! It's not a lot, but every little bit helps! He also qualified for an Academic Competitiveness Grant and additional grant assistance from Ball State. All told, he has $3,750 yearly awarded that will not have to be paid back! Why didn't anyone tell us we were that poor? He will need to take out $5,500 yearly in Stafford loans. But the scary part is--$10,000 will have to be in Parent Plus loans! Yikes! I didn't count on any of his debt being in my name... His dad is considering splitting the parent loan portion. Zac understands that it's HIS debt and not ours, but it will still be listed on our credit reports until paid off. I have written the check for the non-refundable admissions deposit and it will be mailed tomorrow. I can't believe how quietly this was such a weight hanging over our heads. I feel so much relief now and need to dive into graduation plans and Prom plans... And then it hit me. In a few years, we have to do this ALL over again AND I will have TWO of them in college! Can you say "anxiety"?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That is wonderful news! Tell him that I said "Congrats!" He's about to enter some of the best years of his life!!!! Yeah for college!
ReplyDeleteDefinitely will!! Happy Easter. BIG thumbs up for college...
ReplyDelete