Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Destination: Smoky Mountains !

I get to go to the Smokies twice this summer! Both will be wonderful trips but for very different reasons.
  • In May, Gary and I are going to go by ourselves for the weekend. This is the first time we have ever gotten away without the kids (besides the time we got married). I am looking forward to this getaway. I'm finally at the point where I think I can enjoy it without feeling too guilty about the kids, worrying about the kids or (I'm almost ashamed to admit this) missing the kids too much! Their Nana (and maybe Aunt Susie) will be coming to stay with them. They are probably capable of staying by themselves with the oldest being 18, but I still don't like putting that responsibility on him or expecting that siblings will respect him as they do their parents. It never works. I was the babysitter of our family and it was a miserable job. But it will be so much fun to only have to please ourselves with choices of activities, how long to stay at said activities, meals and generally--any choice that has to be made!
  • In July, it's the Girls Getaway (that hopefully will now be an annual tradition). We booked a week in the Smokies with the intent to sell it--but that fell through. So, "the girls" will use as much of it as we can for our get together away. Nana, Susie, my girls and me. We may invite others this year--not sure how well it will work with trying to mesh so many schedules/personalities. Plus, it's only a 2 bedroom. If we were going to open it up, I would like to have a 3 or 4 bedroom. I may still check on an upgrade. But, we will be there over the 4th of July. Gatlinburg has the "First" 4th of July parade in the nation. First meaning, we line up and wait for it July 3rd after 11:00 at night. The parade starts at midnight--so it's the first one to take place on the 4th! We missed it when we were there in 06--it was pouring rain and no one was much interested in sitting in that to watch it.
*** Checked on an upgrade and there is NOTHING available during those dates! Now what?

2 comments:

  1. We need to meet up soon to dicuss this vacation thing. If others get invited we need to come up with a plan for that. If not, we still need to figure things out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Fridays pretty clear from now until then. I also need to get together with my caterer to figure out the Graduation Party...

    ReplyDelete