Sunday, October 19, 2008

Awwww....Marching Season is over!

We were so optimistic about this performance. Our band, in all of school history has never progressed past Regionals. We really hoped that this was it! It wasn't. We received a Silver rating and were not ranked in the top ten bands. Our band is struggling with a decline in participation (some natural decline in interest, but some annoying obstacles created by administration). It helped ease some fears to see the tiniest class D band (Eastside) rate Gold and rank in the top ten. They have only 22 members. We were very happy for them! It was an absolutely gorgeous day and enjoyed a grownup outing for once. The girls went to Nana's!
And this was Zac's LAST Marching Band performance.
Jake out on the field completing his Freshman marching season.
Zac and fellow Senior J on the Mellophone.
They looked and sounded great, but it just wasn't enough today.
Photography for the day proved to be challenging. I can now appreciate shooting in RAW so very much! These shows are limited to 10 minutes. The band is always moving and there is no time to change lenses, filters or even any settings. I selected my settings just prior to their performance. It was working well when I checked some sample shots. So I happily snapped away. 144 images snapped. As I was flipping through them after the show--my heart sank! About halfway through the show, all of my images started showing up VERY dark! UgH! It wasn't until I watched the video playback of the show that I knew what had happened... A HUGE cloud mass came over the entire field during their show and it was enough that my F6.3/s2500/ISO 400 wasn't good enough! Thanks to RAW (really having to process the image to make a JPEG) I was able to make corrections to exposure and white balance. They were noisy but salvagable. I think I like RAW.

No comments:

Post a Comment