Wednesday, March 4, 2009

OMG! Another one driving !

I cannot believe this! I thought having a senior this year and dealing with all of the lasts and making it through Prom and graduation was enough for me this year! Oh no! I have a freshman as well. He got his class ring this year as well as the new "teen attitude" and the "teen stupids". I was pretty close to overload with all of that and NOW he brings home a form for Driver's Ed??? Is he nuts?! I cannot possibly have TWO of them driving.... Remind me to buy stock in L'Oreal this year! I am far too young to be so grey! Who will mistake me as Gary's daughter if I'm as grey as he is? AaaghhH!! But yes, Jake turns 15 this summer and is allowed to take driver's ed because he does so before July 1st. And can we talk about the cost of driver's ed? Back when I was in school (yes, I did just say that so it proves I'm over 40), it was FREE and part of your public school education! Today, we had to provide a $100 deposit (what is it with the magical number 100?) and then pay the remaining $160 by the time class starts in June. Maybe the only advantage to divorce is having another household share these "extra" expenses. Not so here. Jake's dad provides nothing extra and actually pays far below the recommended support amount (courtesy of me and sympathy for him 13 years ago--and now I have no money to take him back to court) based on both our incomes. So, we buck it up and provide for Jacob because we know our responsibilities and don't need the courts to tell us what they are. Wow. That was a tangent. Just a little bitter about finances right now! The good thing is, Jake knows what's up. No one has to tell him (and we really don't talk about it). He will have the use of a "kid car" when he does get his license. We decided early on that we would not purchase cars for their ownership, but we would always have a 3rd car available for their use. And, since I don't want them to work during high school, we pay all the insurance extra and provide gas. We're in the camp that their sole job is school at this time. We provide for all of the extras. I just remembered, I need to get some extra hair color, too if Jake is going to be driving the streets soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment