Tonight was the competition. Spell Bowl is run differently than a spelling BEE. Spell Bowl is made up of 8 rounds with 7 words in each round. Each team sends one contestant up for each round. The contestant sits at a desk with a sponsor (neutral representative of Spell Bowl) beside them. The words are provided verbally (one at a time) and in a sentence. The contestant then has 20 seconds to WRITE the spelling word on their form. When time is up, the word is presented on a huge white screen and the sponsor then checks the contestant's spelling of the word. At the end of the round (7 words) the score is relayed to scorekeepers assigned to each school's flip chart.
Her school won first place (Gold Medal)! They have to wait to find out if they qualify for State Competition. Statewide, the top 10 in each class will qualify.
And, I should have taken my good camera--I could have taken nonflash pictures during the competition and could have gotten a team photo without all the red eyes! Oh well.
WooHoo! Go Daisy! She didn't get her spelling skills from Aunt Susie! I would die without my spellcheck!
ReplyDeleteAwesome!!!! That is quite an accomplishment. I wish we had Spelling Bowl, we just have Bees.
ReplyDeleteMy girls are both competing in a Horse Bowl, though. Its a very tough competititive team competition about in-depth knowledge of horses. They have to study from now until April. yikes!
Great pic!