Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Biz Town, USA

These photos were just with my point&shoot camera.
Daisy and I spent the day Monday at Biz Town, USA. AKA Junior Achievement in Ft. Wayne. Biz Town is a program for 5th graders that explores real life work force interaction. They worked for weeks at school before the culmination at Biz Town. They had to learn how to set up a checking account and how to use it, applied and interviewed for jobs, learned the workings of a community (legal, postal, governmental and practical). Daisy landed the job of NonProfit Organization Director.Biz Town getting ready to open for business! The first Town Meeting.
Daisy hard at work deciding which charities she would begin collecting donations for.
At the bank on her lunch "hour". They had to cash and deposit paychecks and run a couple of errands and eat lunch at the restaurant. As a volunteer, I could have all the free pop and popcorn that I wanted. Not much of a perk--my kids in the Broadcast Center needed so much supervision--I barely made it to MY lunch!
As NonProfit Director, Daisy had to report at the end of the day regarding her charities and donations received.

5 comments:

  1. I love that last photo of Daisy - she looks SO grown up. Kinda makes me a little sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're sad?!! She has a Valentine's Dance next Friday!!! WHEN did she get to be old enough to dance? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. DANCE?!?! I don't know that Aunt Susie is ready for that! I bet Gary's not loving it either! Is she excited about the dance?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually Dad is just fine with it! She's not showing us any excitement--too cool for that... But I know she is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great way to teach kids some very useful, everyday skills they'll need.

    ReplyDelete