
Well, we just had a kind of a "aha" moment shared with a "duh" moment at about the same time. I was reading another blog and the author mentioned going gluten free and it solving years and years of stomach aches and ailments. Oh yeah! I've only associated gluten free with autism (given my field)... Of course NOW I remember about celiac disease! We may be trying a gluten free diet for Betsy as a trial.... She has had stomach aches all.the.time. for a few years now. We took her to the doctor. The doctor sent her to the same pediatric gastroenterologist that Jake saw. He diagnosed her with IBS and wrote a prescription. Betsy hates pills and they weren't taken often enough to tell whether or not they were helpful. They were mainly for acid reflux though, and that's not her issue.
So, we will be doing a trial gluten free and see how it goes. If it makes a huge difference for her, we might be stuck with gluten free options and packing lunch!
Lindi, I wanted you to know that Joanne Rexford Buckner (On FB) has two sons with celaic disease. It's heredity so they were all tested for it, so I wanted to be sure to tell you if you are looking for recipes or great food ideas for Betsy you should FB Joanne. She's been doing this for years and I'm amazed to see the baked goods and things they come up with. Hope Betsy's stomach problems get better.
ReplyDeleteThanks Vicki! I just may --she could probably come up with a quick sample menu to try out. I think I'm also going to get her an appointment with the MI gastro doc that we are getting Jake into. But this might help gather information before we get there!
Delete