Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Jake's Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

This is it. The day of the endoscopy. Not only did this boy have several days of miserable prep (laxatives 4x daily and only clear liquids the day before), but this morning before we left at 7:45, he had to have 2 enemas. There was no way this 15 year old was going to involve Mom in this activity, so I explained as best I could.
And it wasn't enough! He had to have 2 more (this time administered by his nurse) so that they could do the procedure and NOT reschedule (and NOT have to redo all the prep).
I was already a little concerned about the anesthesia part after realizing that he has NEVER had to be under for anything... and then they started with all of the questions about family history. I had to remember that my Grandpa might have had serious issues with anesthesia.
IV for anesthesia and fluids.
Starting to get a little loopy...
And after. Jake scared us with the anesthesia. They had difficulty waking him. They wound up "letting" him sleep for over an hour after. As a Mom, this worries me even more about how hard it was for him to come out of it. When they finally called me back to see him, it was to help with him! He was sitting on the toilet shaking like a leaf and so out of it, I was immediately taken back to wild college frat parties when the guys were so drunk they were incoherent. I helped them dress him and they had to use a wheelchair to get him back to his recovery cubicle. He is a cranky "drunk". We had to shush him and request that he censor his language. He also didn't remember anything every 15 minutes or so. When he was FINALLY alert enough for release (after over 2 hours awake), he was sick to his stomach and ouchy. He was starving after being emptied and not being able to eat the day before. He picked Golden Corral as his choice of refueling but couldn't eat like he thought he would be able to.

No comments:

Post a Comment