Saturday, August 22, 2009

BSU Move In

In the POURING RAIN!!!!
His move in "time" (I have never heard of this) was from 3-5 p.m. We finally got there about 3:30 with not even a room number yet. The procedure seemed to be that we pull up to the curb (disregarding the meters) and totally unload the vehicle. We unloaded to a spot in the grass under a tree.
The rain (of course) started immediately after we set his last item on the ground. BSU was good, but not that good. They did send a few upper classmen out with big sheets of plastic to use to cover it all... but that was after the downpour had already had about 10 minutes on them.
Zac and I left the younger ones to "guard" his stuff while we went off in search of a room number and one of those handy carts we saw others using!
And BSU sent more students with extra little carts out to help the totally overwhelmed and confused families standing around outside. They threw items into it and yelled as they ran off --"What room #?"
Here's our soggy boy in his teeny tiny dorm room.
And the gang before we left him at his new home. We had joked throughout the whole year almost...that I wouldn't cry. This is what my goal had been--to raise my child to adulthood and sent him fully prepared onto the next stage. Well, I was doing alright until that final hug goodbye. Please understand the Asperger aspect when you read that my son has only hugged me maybe---2 or 3 times in his post preschool life. I got a good hug...and I tried to say that I would miss him and that was my trigger. My loving, compassionate son noticed this and yelled "Ha!" and then did say that he would miss me too. That clinched it. He is an adult and he is ready. We wish him the best of luck and that he will put forth the greatest effort during this new stage.
And, as we left, we couldn't help but notice that the next move in "time" was bathed in pure sunlight and not a cloud in sight. We got lots of puzzled looks as we straggled out of there soaked to the skin. At least the tears weren't as obvious....

No comments:

Post a Comment