I usually try to wax profound on the New Year entry... I haven't looked back yet, but I'm pretty sure the entry usually has something to do with my children. This year, it's going to be about me. Well, and the kids. My family. Craig. And his family. Here it is. Are you ready?
I will choose my family by how we relate--not by how we're related.
I will choose my family by how we relate--not by how we're related.
What do you think? It's taken about 30 years to get here, but I think I have it now. I kind of knew it about 15 years ago.... but it's finally sunk in to the fullest. It will be hard for some to believe that when it's my whole family against me--that I could be blameless or innocent. When you start talking about parents that you no longer have a relationship with, a sister that you haven't spoken to or seen in over 13 years, a brother and sister-in-law that you see and speak to occasionally over the years--yet turn their backs once you relocate to within a dozen miles of them.....it will be hard to not look at me and wonder--ok, what did she do? What is she like? I understand this. But those who are closest to me, who know my values, personality and all that is me... CAN understand that I have a very odd family and that I truly have no clue as to what their issues with me are. I'm done trying to figure it out, done caring why.... I only focus on the fact that they can and do and in the real scheme of things--that speaks volumes. So, I will choose my family by how we relate. How we treat each other. And how we love.
No comments:
Post a Comment